Gain the understanding you need to provide compassionate, end-of-life pet care. Animal Hospice and Palliative Medicine for the House Call Veterinarian provides an all-in-one guide to the skills and challenges related to this growing area of veterinary care. From setting up your business and performing your first in-home consultation to managing pain, performing in-home euthanasia, and providing grief support to the family, this book walks you through each step of care. Written by Dr. Lynn Hendrix, a leading expert and researcher in veterinary palliative medicine, this practical resource shows how to improve the quality of care for pets in the final stages of life.
- Comprehensive coverage addresses the essential topics of palliative care, hospice, and euthanasia.
- Key topics range from setting up a mobile business, in-home consultations to pain management, complementary medicine, physical support for the pet, and much more.
- Information on the diseases commonly seen at the end of life includes disease progression and trajectories.
- Single-source review covers animal end-of-life care and consulting, specifically through mobile veterinary services.
- 100 full-color clinical photos depict the concepts and procedures of animal palliative care.
- Practical insights are provided in the areas of family grief support, compassion fatigue, managing difficult home visits, and dispelling the myths of animal hospice and euthanasia.