Sheep, goat, and cervid medicine
3rd ed., 561 pages, 250 ill., Elsevier, July 2020
Item Code: LA193
Weigth: 1800 g
Species: Large animals
Discipline: Internal medicine
Other users also bought...
Get practical answers from the only guide on the care of sheep, goats, and cervids! Authoritative yet easy to read, Sheep, Goat and Cervid Medicine, 3rd Edition covers all the latest advances in the field, including diseases and medical treatment, surgery, pain management, theriogenology, and nutrition. Clear instructions and hundreds of full-color photographs guide you step by step through common procedures including restraint for examination, administration of drugs, blood collection, and grooming. New to this edition is coverage of deer and elk medicine, reflecting the growing interest in these ruminants. Written by an expert team led by Dr. D.G. Pugh, this comprehensive reference is ideal for veterinarians and also for owners of sheep and goats.
New to this Edition
- Clear writing style and consistent organization makes the book easy to understand and use, with disease chapters including pathogenesis, clinical signs, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
- Coverage of both surgery and medicine in each body systems chapter makes it easier to choose between treatment options for specific disorders.
- Superbly illustrated surgical procedures clearly demonstrate the steps to follow in performing medical and reproductive surgery.
- Diverse, expert contributors include the most experienced authorities, each providing current information on the care of valuable breeding stock as well as pets.
- Useful appendixes, now including veterinary feed directives, offer convenient access to information on drugs and drug dosages, fluid therapy, and normal values and conversions.
- Consistent, logical format in each body systems chapter makes information easy to find by beginning with physical examination and diagnostic procedures, followed by discussions of common diseases that involve the system.
- Comprehensive Feeding and Nutrition chapter covers diet evaluation, method of balancing rations, total parenteral nutrition, and examples of nutritious diets.
- Explanation of the differences in normal behavior between sheep and goats shows how they are not the same, and require different methods of treatment.
- NEW! Coverage of cervids has been added to chapters throughout the book, reflecting the growing popularity of deer and elk.
- NEW! Thorough content updates are made throughout the book and reflect the latest research evidence.
- NEW! 170 new clinical photos have been added.
- NEW! Anesthesia and Pain Management chapter includes a new section on pain management strategies, reflecting the emphasis on controlling pain in small ruminants.
- NEW! Expert Consult website offers an online version of the book, making it easy to search the entire book electronically.
- NEW! Two new authors are respected and well-known veterinary medicine experts and educators: Dr. Misty Edmondson and Dr. Thomas Passler
1. Physical Examination, Handling and Restraint of Sheep, Goats, and Cervids
2. Feeding and Nutrition
3. Fluid Therapy and Parenteral Nutritional
4. Oral-Esophageal Diseases
5. Diseases of the Gastrointestinal System
6. Internal Parasites of Sheep, Goats, and Cervids
7. Diseases of the Respiratory System
8. Theriogenology of Sheep and Goats, and Cervids
9. Diseases of the Endocrine System
10. Diseases of the Integumentary System
11. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System
12. Diseases of the Urinary System
13. Diseases of the Neurologic System
14. Diseases of the Eye
15. Diseases of the Mammary Gland
16. Diseases of the Hematologic, Immunologic, and Lymphatic Systems (Multisystem Diseases)
17. Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
18. Anesthetic and Pain Management
19. Herd and Flock Health
20. Field Necropsy and Diagnostic Tests
Appendix I: Commonly Used Drugs and Veterinary Feed Directive in Sheep, Goats and Cervids
Appendix II: Reference Intervals and Conversions
David G. Pugh
DVM, MS, MAG, Diplomate ACT, ACVN, & ACVM Director Alabama Veterinary Diagnostic Lab System and Clinical Professor, Dept. of Pathobiology Auburn University
N. (Nickie) Baird
DVM MS DACVS, Section Chief, Large Animal Surgery Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences School of Veterinary Medicine Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana
DVM, MS, DACT, Associate Professor, Farm Animal, Department of Clinical Sciences, Auburn University
DVM, PhD, DACVIM, Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Sciences, Auburn University